Thursday 13 October 2011

Bubbles and Sweets

Ok so I finally have my ring (YAH!) so I can really start looking into what we (translation "I") would love to have incorporated into our wedding. Today I'm going to compare some champagnes (well sparkling wines really) that I've narrowed down as wanting for toasts etc. Also, I'll throw in some of my and my fiancees favourite wines. Now not all places are happy to have you provide your own alcohol so depending where we have our reception will decide whether any of these make it to the big day.

The first bubbly I'd like to mention is one I've only recently tried. NV Frizzante by Banrock Station. I bought this on a whim last Friday and we had it as a celebratory drink on Saturday when we finally got my engagement back. In a word this wine is delicious. I admit, I like sweet wines but this one, boy oh boy, it's got the most beautiful flavour. Its described as "lemon sherbert and exotic fruit". It certainly has a sherberty fizz to it but it's a very soft fizz. It doesn't give you that tickle in the nose that makes you screw your face up nor does it have the fizzy burn like a lot of the others that makes you smack your tongue around your mouth. You can buy it in any bottle shop. It's around the $14.99 mark I think.

The other I'd like to discuss is a boutique sparkling wine from a winery in the Hunter Valley called Peterson House. Now, unfortunately we've not been to the actual estate, we tasted (and subsequently purchased) several of their wines at the Brisbane Ekka this year. I was drawn to it as the stand was lavishly pink and sparkly (thats just me, I like shiny things) and I'm sooooo glad I was. The Botrytis Semillon is absolutely stunning. It is described by Peterson House as having "rich apricot and smooth citrus flavours" and you better believe it does. It's not technically sparkling (it's actually a dessert wine) but it gives that impression when it hits your tongue. Like the NV Frizzante it has no burn to it and slides down easy. A little too easy :P This is only available through Peterson House online or their cellars in the Hunter Valley (so unfortunate for non Hunter Valley residents). We still have our bottle and are saving it for a very special occasions. It's priced at $32.00 and totally worth it!

So they are my choices as our "champagnes" for the wedding. Now for general wine selections I have a few I'd like to share. We are mainly red drinkers but as I said earlier we like sweet wines. It can be difficult to find sweet reds in bottle shops but I've done the hard yards and heres all the tips you need to find a good drop. All these wines MUST be served chilled so are much better being drunk in the warmer months.
The first is a wine I kinda found by accident. I can't even remember the circumstances but I know it was an accident. Its Crimson Cabernet by Banrock Station. It is gorgeous in every way. It's raspberry, strawberry and cream in flavour and has no bitterness or acidity like some other reds (that goes for all the reds I'll mention). It is VERY drinkable and goes with pretty much anything. Or nothing at all. It retails for between $8.99 to $14.99 depending on specials in bottle shops.


The second is Cienna by Brown Brothers. My oldest sister put me onto this one when I told her about the Crimson Cabernet (hereafter to be called CC). We did a swappsies of sorts. Cienna is just as good as CC but if possible it's even sweeter with even less acidity (which is really saying something). It retails a little cheaper than CC. Around $12.99 in any bottle shop.
Lastly, I want to mention what is my FAVOURITE sweet red. Love by Sirromet. This is the most beautiful wine I have ever tasted. We picked this one up from the Queensland Tasting Centre at Mount Tamborine (awesome place! You must go there. Wines from all over not just 1 winery). This wine is just so good I cannot praise it enough. You must try this wine. You just must! It's a cherry type flavour that leaves your mouth feeling like it's just spent a long relaxing time by a cool pond (without the fish/frog after taste). If you're not a fan of reds as such, I would recommend this as your "first". It'll be gentle and sweet and take care of your needs without asking anything in return. You can get this in other places than the Sirromet Winery such as the QLD Tasting Centre and other boutique wine shops but it's not available in general bottle shops.
Hopefully I'll be able to partake in one, some or all of these beauties at my wedding but it's not possible then that fine because I can get most of them with not too much trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment